F> The first time, I've compiled ruby without touching the ext/Setup file;
F> and the result was the same. So I've read in README to remove the comments from
F> the lines indicating the name of some modules to link them statically.
F> Well, the result is the same in any case :(

 ruby try to make dynamic library, if it can't this is generally because :
  * it don't find a library
  * it don't find an include file

 For example in ext/readline

pigeon% cat extconf.rb
require "mkmf"

dir_config("readline")
have_library("user32", nil) if /cygwin/ === RUBY_PLATFORM
have_library("ncurses", "tgetnum") or
  have_library("termcap", "tgetnum") or
  have_library("curses", "tgetnum")

if have_header("readline/readline.h") and
    have_header("readline/history.h") and
    have_library("readline", "readline")
  if have_func("rl_filename_completion_function")
    $CFLAGS += "-DREADLINE_42_OR_LATER"
  end
  create_makefile("readline")
end
pigeon%

 The line `dir_config("readline")' means that you can give the options

  --with-readline-dir
  --with-readline-lib
  --with-readline-include

 to specify where is located the libraries and include files for readline

 If it can make a dynamic library, it will not able to make a static
 library. This is why you must modify ext/Setup, *only* for extensions that
 ruby can build.

 If you run

  ruby extconf.rb in ext/readline

 it will say you what lib or include it can't find.

Guy Decoux