--
f+j4uibVJTgi9WRa4d2

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 06:37 +0900, snacktime wrote:
> I have a basic kerberos C extension done and before releasing it I'd
> like some feedback on a couple of things.  The extension covers
> functions such as authentication and changing passwords, as well as
> adding/deleting principals.
>
> 1.  Suggestions on a name?  Right now it's called Krb5.

ruby-kerberos is nice and non-annoying. Guaranteed to stick around.
Boring is good sometimes. It's unsurprising at least.

> 2.  Best way to distribute it?  At the moment I just have an
> extconf.rb file.  I've created gems before but not ones that have C
> extensions.  For the moment I will probably just put up a tarball and
> once I know any major bugs are quashed I'll create a gem.

Yay for tarballs with extconf. That makes it easy for me to package as
an RPM to include with the linux distro I use and help develop.

> 3.  Desired features
> Right you can authenticate a principle via password, and change a
> principal's password using krb5_change_password.  The only kadmin
> function are creating and deleting a principal.  Principal creation
> does support most of the principal options and attributes.  Modifying
> existing principals is probably next on the list.

Modifying for sure, not sure what else. Being able to authenticate a
remote principal would be nice, I want to write kerberos-secured servers
in Ruby.

> I've tested it under Freebsd, and compiled it on debian where it
> compiles (with warnings) and runs, but my deb box is behind a nat so
> while I know it authenticated to our kdc it wasn't able to get a reply
> back.

I'd be glad to test at some point soon.

Aria

--