On 9/17/06, Joan Iglesias <joan.iglesias / yahoo.es> wrote:
> David Morton wrote:
> >
> > Run a test system with your unit tests. (You do have a formal testing
> > procedure, right?)
> >

> Yes I have.
>
> > Perl has had its own share of backwards compatibility issues.  I
> > think it sounds like you are trying to find an excuse to block ruby
> > in your organization.
>
> Could you give me an example (perl)? I didn't find it. I'm quite new at
> this scriping languages, because until now I was a system administrator
> (bash). I'm not blocking nothing, because I work as a freelance
> consultant, and I would like to give to my clients some king of long
> term security in the product that they buy and mantein (in my case).
>
> I have heared your arguments, maybe you are right. I supose changes will
> be there allways, it's a matter of having a very good organitzation to
> respond to the changes as soon as possible...

With any large application it's not even so much the language itself
as all the modules that you might be using from third parties.  For
all practical purposes CPAN is just as much a part of perl as the core
language, and I can't count all the broken module upgrades I've had to
go through.  Ditto for python and ruby modules/libraries.  Experience
say's that upgrades break things despite the best intentions,
regardless of the language.  Pick a language you like, resign yourself
to the fact that stuff will beak, and move on.