Hi --

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Eero Saynatkari wrote:

> unknown wrote:
>> Hi --

>>> This may be an issue.
>>
>> I've always thought it was  convenient to have [*x] do the expanding
>> on x (including strings and ranges).  But if it's going to disappear,
>> I think it should disappear consistently, so that * doesn't start
>> having a totally different meaning depending on the operand's class.
>
> I dunno--you have to use Range#to_a explicitly elsewhere so I
> feel that would be consistent here also.

My point is that I don't want to have to use Range#to_a explicitly but
not String#to_a, nor the other way around.  In other words, I don't
want *(0...10) to do one thing and *"a\nb" to do another.  It's not
that I'm hung up on consistency per se (lots of cool Ruby things come
from inconsistency :-) but I don't like things where there are two
cases and no clear reason why, so you have to memorize them
individually.

David

--
                   David A. Black | dblack / wobblini.net