From: schneik / us.ibm.com
Subject: [ruby-talk:02147] Ruby/Glade usage questions.
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:15:23 -0600

> How soon will we see a Ruby entry on http://glade.pn.org/links.html and a
> corresponding button on Glade itself (File --> Project Options --> Language
> --> Ruby)?

as soon as glade2rb starts working (again :^) I shouldn't have put
glade2rb in the archive after I stop coding it....  It is
waaaaaaaaaaay behind now....

BTW, I have a patch to put "Ruby" on the project option window, if you
want. It doesn't do any good but it sure looks nice to have the word
on it!

> IIRC, one or more of the other supported languages started out
> with preliminary translator modules, so I would recommend pursuing this as
> soon as possible. (This is also another place that will get people asking,
> "What's this Ruby language?". Also, since Ruby should excel at complex,
> dynamic GUI development, in addition to making ordinary GUI development
> easier, this would be a good place to indirectly call attention to Ruby.)

well, some people already asked me when i asked a few question in
glade-devel list :^)

> Is there some reason that glade2rb doesn't begin with
> "#!/usr/local/bin/ruby" or with "#!/usr/bin/env ruby"?

I'll fix that, but...

> It would be nice if "glade2rb input.glade output.rb" were in the README
> file.

I just don't see any good reason why you want to use translator with
script languages.  could someone please give me a good reason, and
make me want to code glade2rb!

and tell me how you want output.rb to be.  do you just want output.rb
to have all the code, so that you can later include from your script?
Or, do you want to have a file per window?  some OO way? (although,
i'm not sure how ;p)

ps.  I don't think I have time to code by the end of this
month...sigh..

regards,
--
           yashi