On Sep 18, 2006, at 5:01 AM, bechbox / gmail.com wrote:

> I'm installing FasterCSV (sudo gem install fastercsv) but when I'm
> using it with Rails I get and "uninitialized constant FasterCSV"
> error.
>
> So - in the gem directory when running rake I get a whole bunch of
> permission errors like:
>
>   1) Error:
> test_append(TestFasterCSVInterface):
> Errno::EACCES: Permission denied - ./test/temp_test_data.csv
>     ./test/tc_interface.rb:16:in `initialize'
>     ./test/tc_interface.rb:16:in `setup'
>
> but when running sudo rake everything is fine.
>
> Are the two problems (the Rails error and the permission error)
> related
> to each other?

Nope, I get the same permission errors here, if I try to run Rake in
the gem directory.  I use the gem all the time though.

As for the uninitialized constant error, how are you requiring
FasterCSV?  You added something like the following to the end of
environment.rb?

   require "rubygems"  # not sure if thats needed, but it may
                       # be if you vendor Rails
   require "faster_csv"

Just FYI, I use FasterCSV in a lot of Rails projects and I prefer to
vendor it, so I can count on it being there without an install.

James Edward Gray II