>>> sender: "A. S. Bradbury" date: "Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 08:46:28PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> On Sunday 17 September 2006 21:11, Edward wrote:
> > So I currently have resorted to JEdit which is a good general purpose
> > editor but not specifically for Ruby.
>
> I'm assuming you have discovered Robert Mckinnon's Ruby JEdit plugin?
> http://rubyjedit.org/
>
> > What free editors for Ruby are there which have debugging,
> > intellisense, syntax coloring and the regular macros, etc.? What do you
> > guys use?
>
> I'm really settling in nicely to vim7. If you just want vim's nice
> indentation, coloring and so on, cream (http://cream.sf.net) provides a very
> easy to use configuration. However, there's a lot to be gained by taking the
> time to configure vim to act just as you want it.
>
> This series of configuring Vim for perl developers gives a good run-through of
> the most important configuration variables you might consider tweaking to
> your taste:
> http://mamchenkov.net/wordpress/2004/05/10/vim-for-perl-developers/
>
> The only aspect of vim that put me off at first was editing multiple files, it
> didn't seem very intuitive.
Well, since you mention that, indeed that was a sore spot for myself
as well until recently. I missed the ease of working with files that
I experienced in Komodo for example (ability to organize them into
projects, etc.).
However a couple of days ago I discovered "Project"[1] which made me
100% satisfied with my Vim setup. It's a really great plugin, and the
files management has become as pleasant as it can be now :)

Cheers,
Alex

[1] http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=69