On Sunday 17 September 2006 21:11, Edward wrote:
> So I currently have resorted to JEdit which is a good general purpose
> editor but not specifically for Ruby.

I'm assuming you have discovered Robert Mckinnon's Ruby JEdit plugin?
http://rubyjedit.org/

> What free editors for Ruby are there which have debugging,
> intellisense, syntax coloring and the regular macros, etc.? What do you
> guys use?

I'm really settling in nicely to vim7. If you just want vim's nice
indentation, coloring and so on, cream (http://cream.sf.net) provides a very
easy to use configuration. However, there's a lot to be gained by taking the
time to configure vim to act just as you want it.

This series of configuring Vim for perl developers gives a good run-through of
the most important configuration variables you might consider tweaking to
your taste:
http://mamchenkov.net/wordpress/2004/05/10/vim-for-perl-developers/

The only aspect of vim that put me off at first was editing multiple files, it
didn't seem very intuitive. However, I've found minibufexplorer (search it on
vim.org) to be just what I've been looking for. I'd reccomend setting a
mapping (ctrl-n, ctrl-p in standard mode perhaps, or shift-right and left if
they're not already taken by your console) to move between tabs (just map the
keys to :bn and :bp). Also, it's handy to make sure you read just a little
bit about buffers in vim and its windowing system. Oh, also add 'set hidden'
to your vimrc, or else buffers are unloaded each time you switch and. Lots
more hints are available on vim.org.

Hope this adds a couple of alternatives

Alex