Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> William, you walked right past the point. Unless you get a job through
> nepotism, you have to sell *yourself* in order to get the job in the
> first
> place. (And even with nepotism, sales is involved because your
> mother/father/uncle/political-patron has to convince his/her associate
> give you the job.)

I see your point, but I disagree.  You are much more likely to get the
job if you 'sell yourself' in the interview, resume, etc...  But if you
simply describe yourself with no attempt at spin, you can and will still
get a job.  (I did, several times.)

As before, there's quite a difference between selling a product and
simply explaining what it is.  I suck at selling.

And oddly enough, my mother -did- get me my first job.  She went ot the
local grocery store, got me and application, made me fill it out, and
took it back.  Bam, I had a job.  Yeah, I'll agree there was some
selling there, but not on my part.

I'll admit the point of sales and advocacy being related, though...  You
are definitely trying to convince others to use the product in both
cases.