On Sep 17, 2006, at 6:32 AM, Morton Goldberg wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>
>> I'm running ruby 1.8.5 (2006-09-10) [powerpc-darwin8.7.0] and when
>> I try they little simple Tk application on the first page of the
>> Ruby Tk chapter of the Pickaxe Book I get:
>> ~ $ ruby -w TK.rb
>> ./tk.rb:7: uninitialized constant TkRoot (NameError)
>>         from TK.rb:6:in `require'
>>         from TK.rb:6
>>
>> However if I run the pre-installed ruby that came with Tiger like:
>> ~ $ /usr/bin/ruby -w TK.rb
>>
>> I get a nice little window with "Hello World!" in it as well as
>> ruby, File and Edit menus. The archives seem to have quite a bit
>> of discussion of this issue but I couldn't find any resolution.
>> Did anyone figure out how Apple got Tk working?
>
> I suggest you check $: for where your Ruby is looking for libraries
> and then verify whether or not tk.rb is available in one of those
> libraries. I think it's likely that it's not.
>
> Ruby 1.8.2 finds tk.rb in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8. but I don't know if
> this version will work with 1.8.5.
>
> Regards, Morton

Good catch, Morton. tk.rb is nowhere to be found in any of my
$LOAD_PATH files. I still don't understand why I get the
'uninitialized constant' message rather than 'no such file to load'
but the problem is that there really isn't any such file to load.

--
Seven Deadly Sins? I thought it was a to-do list!