On Sep 17, 2006, at 5:43 AM, Joan Iglesias wrote:

> if you have a look to the language modification between 1.6 and 1.8,
> there are some.

I've tried several 1.6 scripts in 1.8 and never had to change a
single one.  Maybe they didn't use the altered parts of the language,
but all-in-all I think it was a pretty compatible release.

> As you can read in the link above:
>
> "Ruby2 will be slightly incompatible, the changes will not only
> consist
> of additions but also of syntax improvements (hopefully a better
> syntax
> will result)."
>
> In a company that you have to make money by your time, this is not a
> good philosophy. Of course I understand that the improvements in the
> syntax and all this is good..., I cannot modify my programs so many
> times with the risk of making mistakes because of the language...

But you could freeze your working software at Ruby 1.8, right?

1.8 doesn't disappear because 2.0 release.  The Ruby team still
occasionally patches 1.6 to resolve a security issue.

Honestly, this should really be a non-issue with proper test
coverage.  You try your tests on Ruby 2.0 and if they are green
you're ready to deploy.  If not, they should take you straight to the
changes.

James Edward Gray II