On Friday 15 September 2006 09:46 am, Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:40:16PM +0900, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 September 2006 01:14 am, Mike Dvorkin wrote:
> > > In your example "unless" is applicable only to the line it appears
> > > in. Synonym of "unless" is "if not", i.e.:
> >
> > Not the OP, but thank you!  Somehow "if not" resonates better in my head
> > than "unless".  I wonder if many other people, not yet intimate with
> > unless in Ruby, find it the same.
> >
> > Probably too late to change, and I'm not advocating a change, but if I
> > were writing a new programming language ...
> >
> > (I.e., ifnot, somewhat analogous to the elseif construct in some
> > languages).
>
> Just do it.
> if not condition
> end
> Easy ;)

I debated about whether to reply to this--there's probably really no need for
a reply, but just to acknowledge that I am listening:

Yes, you are clearly right (in cases where I'm writing code) --I guess I was
more concerned about understanding it when finding it in someone else's
code. ;-)

Randy Kramer