On 9/16/06, Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck / gmail.com> wrote:
> Generally, only major version increments introduce backwards
> incompatibilities. By major version I mean the x in x.y.z. Ruby 1.8 will
> probably be around even after 2.0 is released, and security and bug
> updates will surely continue for a while.

This will be mostly true for Ruby. Matz has defined Ruby 2.0 as new
syntax changes plus a new virtual machine (Rite).

Therefore, when he releases 1.9.1 as a public release version around
Christmas 2007, that will become the new production version with all
of the syntax changes planned for Ruby 2.0, but it will not include by
default the new virtual machine.

So, there will be some incompatibilities with Ruby 1.9 and Ruby 1.8,
but they should not affect most programs at all.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca