Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> Do you have a job? If you do, and it wasn't given to you by your mother,
> than you *have* sold something in your life ;-)

I have to disagree there.  A night stock clerk at a grocery store never
sells anything.  An intern programmer at a corporation never sells
anything.  (Until he wants to be promoted, and then he's got to sell an
idea, but I think that's pushing the meaning a bit here.)

Anyhow, selling things and being a salesman are 2 different things.  I
was a 'consultative sales associate' at a tech store once.  My position
was basically salesman, but they didn't call it that because they don't
pay commission.  I workd that job for a year and a half, and I now know
for sure that I am -not- a salesman.  I can explain things all day long,
but when it comes to trying to complete the sale, I stink.  I don't do
add-ons, I don't 'close', and I don't actually care if the customer buys
-today-.  (I care about the company, but I just happen to care about the
customers more.)