Rimantas Liubertas wrote:
>> I think, Ruby is now suffering to many changes, because it's very young
>> and because there isn't a big company behind (like in Java), that forces
>> backward compatibility ALWAYS.
>
> I am not sure why do you talk about "suffering" and that particular
> changes do you
> have in mind? Were you affected by them?

if you have a look to the language modification between 1.6 and 1.8,
there are some. And more modifcations between 1.8 and 2.0.

As you can read in the link above:

"Ruby2 will be slightly incompatible, the changes will not only consist
of additions but also of syntax improvements (hopefully a better syntax
will result)."

In a company that you have to make money by your time, this is not a
good philosophy. Of course I understand that the improvements in the
syntax and all this is good..., I cannot modify my programs so many
times with the risk of making mistakes because of the language...

> As for language being young: both Java and Ruby were publicly released
> in 1995.

I didn't know.

>> It could be a good idea to mantein backward compatibility in the same
>> way that perl will matein it between Perl 5 and Perl 6.
> <...>
>
> New major version also is a good chance to shake off some bad legacy,
> that may
> hurt some, but all are better off later.
>

> Regards,
> Rimantas

Regards

Joan