Marc Heiler wrote:
> In practise you will really quickly adapt to make modifications also
> quickly to make a script run again. Comes automagically the more
> time you spend with ruby ;-)

In my case, it's not just a matter of adapt a script. Maybe it can be
not a small program. And if I have to sell my program or in my case my
web program in Ruby and I cannot garantee a long life to the program
with the minimum modifications, I'll not sell it.

I think, Ruby is now suffering to many changes, because it's very young
and because there isn't a big company behind (like in Java), that forces
backward compatibility ALWAYS.

It could be a good idea to mantein backward compatibility in the same
way that perl will matein it between Perl 5 and Perl 6.

http://dev.perl.org/perl6/faq.html

At least to have an option in the compiler or interpreter to specicy the
compatibility requered. Or imagine I have a lot of ruby 1.8 libraies, I
can lose time modifying all the libraries because a change in the
language.

In my case, and mainly because of backward compatibility I choose Perl.
I'm sure that in a near future Ruby will be the choise, but now is Perl
for a lot of reasons:

1- backward compatibility.
2- A big comunity.
3- a very huge amount of modules.
4- fast programming, but in this case you have to take more care of good
programmation.

Thank you

Joan