On 9/16/06, znmeb / cesmail.net <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
> Quoting Paul Lutus <nospam / nosite.zzz>:
>
> > I hope for an eventual decent open-source symbolic math processor. There was
> > one (the name of which escapes me at the moment), but it is presently
> > abandonware.

I believe you missed one: Maxima.

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

It is ultimately descended from MACSYMA, which is the most venerable
of all computer algebra systems, and from what I can see it's
definitely not abandoned (considering that the last official release
was in 2005). I've used it and it's probably the closest Free
alternative to Mathematica or Maple.