Hello

I'm studing Ruby and in a short Ruby in Rails for the web development.
I've observed that each verion of Ruby can introduce modifications in
the sintax and behaviour of Ruby. In the other hand I suppose the
comunity develop libraries in the stable release of the moment. The
question is:

What about backward compatibilty? If I write a Ruby program using 1.8.5,
in the future I'll be able to run in using the Ruby 2.0? What about the
libraries developed under 1.8 Ruby?

If I have to develop a professional Ruby program for a company, and one
day I have to update the Ruby's engine, or the ruby's version just
because of a security hole, it would be a bad surprise that nothing
works...

Someone can clarify all this questions please? I would like to program
in Ruby, but not at any price...

Thank you very much!

Joan