On 9/15/06, Thomas <notpublic / not.public> wrote:
> Rick DeNatale wrote:

> >> On my system, according to man sudo, -S causes sudo to read the
> >> password from STDIN.
> >
> > Yep, missed that one.
> >
> > So:
> >
> > echo secretPasswd | ssh -S command...
> >
> > should do the trick
> >

> And hope no one does a ps -a at the time and get account pwd.
>
> Might be best to use separate account with sudo privs without need of pwd.
>
> Just my 0.02 cents

Except this was [implicitly] in the context of executing the command
from within a program.

It's an interesting thought though I'm not even sure that it's an
issue if issued from the command line, this is on linux:

rick@frodo:/public/rubyscripts$ echo hello world | ruby -e
"sleep(10);puts readlines.join(' ').chomp" & ps aux | grep hello
[1] 5136
rick      5138  0.0  0.1   2876   808 pts/2    S+   16:27   0:00 grep hello
rick@frodo:/public/rubyscripts$ hello world

Where the hello world showed up after the command prompt 10 seconds later.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/