Hello,

I'm trying to split a formatted text file into four separate columns.
The data is comprised of lines of text that are bundled into four
distinct columns, corresponding to a "Required versus Optional"
variable, a requirement number, a requirement classification (R1=Rev 1,
F=Future, I=Internal), and a textual description of the requirement.

My raw data looks like this in the input text file:

R [01]	R1	The system shall support "emergency call processing"
R [02]	R1	The system shall support "local call processing"
R [08]	F	The system shall provide a command-line user interface
R [723]	F	The system shall provide 6 10/100/1000 Ethernet interfaces
R [11]	F	The system shall support VoIP networks
R [398]	R1	The system shall contain 2 control boards
O [327]	I	The system should support hotswapping of all internal boards
R [19]	I	The system shall be able to detect transmission errors
R [631]	F	The system shall continue processing data as long as a call is
active.

I've set up a loop to process each line in the input file, and what I'd
like to get is four separate variables containing on a line-by-line
basis the data corresponding to the four distinct columns.  The problem
is my regexp experience is next to nothing, and I can't figure out how
to extract the data I want since my fourth column contains whitespace
(I'd have used that as my column separator otherwise).

Here's my loop:

File.open(textfile, "r") do |input_file|
  while line = input_file.gets
      output_file << line

What can I replace the simple copy statement (output_file << line) with
in order to get what I want?

Thanks in advance, I hope this question makes some sense.

James