On Thursday 20 September 2001 10:11 am, Gaylon Ross wrote:
> Hi Anyone:
>
> I have a downloaded Ruby 1 6.5. I am using Windows 98 as the OS.  I have
> been using C for several years and C++ as of late.  I also use Borland
> C++Builder.  But----after downloading and extracting the download, I am
> at a loss as to how to get Ruby up and running.  Can anyone take the
> time out to help a helpless neophyte?

First, Ruby isn't itself an IDE (though there is ruby-win). If you're used to
IDEs, you may feel more comfortable using RubyWin, which has some windows you
can type into.

Alternatively, as was suggested, you can try irb, which is an interactive
Ruby session.

Typically, one uses a text editor (take your pick) to write a Ruby program,
saves it to a file and then does something like:

ruby myFile.rb

to run it.

--
Ned Konz