On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:56:18 -0400, Francis Cianfrocca
<garbagecat10 / gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/11/06, Martin DeMello <martindemello / gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/12/advocacy.html
>>
>> Interesting read, and most of the points he makes are very relevant to
>> the ruby community.
>>
> It actually was somewhat interesting. It goes without saying that you
> get a
> lot of advantages if you can induce other people to see things your way.

Very interesting read, indeed.

One point that adovacy of anything computer related has going against it
is most of the people in "IT" are weinies, with a deficit of social skills
(myself included). Not everyone, but a disproportinate number.

Advocacy is most influential to me when it is presented as "This is why I
like ..." (after I ask), rather than "You should ..." Those "shoulds" are
the mark of a zealot.

Regards,
   JJ

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ That
still isn't quite what I want, and it's slow too.