Hi,

I've been starting to put together a small sample project like GNU's
"Hello" (http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/) that provides just the
framework of everything that a well behaved Ruby project should
contain. The project should serve a dual role of providing a template
for new projects and as a tutorial. I've done some cursory searching,
but I haven't found anything.

Some of the issues that I think should be addressed in such a sample
application.

- directory structure
- files to require in a distribution (license, readme, samples)
- code style (tricky), version control usage
- comments, documentation, rdoc
- handling platform specific issues, native extension
- unit tests
- handling command line args, usage
- being a well behaved library
- distribution, rakefile, package format, gem, resolving dependancies.
- version control
- register the project: rubyforge, raa, sourceforge, anouncements here.

Does anyone know of a similar project, or would be interested in
providing some input? Or even suggest some particularly nice
real-world projects that can be used for inspiration.

So far, I've put together the basic structure of a project and have
started filling it with some life, mainly a longish README and a well
documented Rakefile containing basic tasks like `rdoc` and `package`.

Download here: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2203
or take a look at the generated docs here: http://hello.rubyforge.org/

I appreciate your feedback, thanks,
   -tim

Sorry for crossposting, I thought this might not only be of interest
for ruby-doc.