Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:21433] Re: nested require files need path internally"
    on 01/09/20, Paul Brannan <pbrannan / atdesk.com> writes:

|>   * same directory that main file exists (this is bad too)
|
|Why is this bad?  It's extraordinarily useful to keep files in the same
|directory as the main file when writing software, so that I don't have to
|install the software every time I test it).

Because it's against UNIX tradition.  Directories such as /usr/bin are
dedicated to executable files, not auxiliary files.  If you don't care
about the tradition, there's no other reason.  But I won't.

|Both of these options work great, so long as no two directories have a
|file with the same name.  If they do, then one file will always get
|required twice, and one file will always get required zero times.  I doubt
|this is any author's intended behavior.

Agreed.

|Should I start naming my files with my_special_identifier_foo.rb so that I
|don't have filename-space collisions between separate directories?

If you care about file name conflict, it's better to think about some
kind of prefix, such as 'app/foo', anyway.

							matz.