Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:21406] Re: nested require files need path internally"
    on 01/09/20, Paul Brannan <pbrannan / atdesk.com> writes:

|However, this is a case, I think, where we have a tradeoff between
|simplicity in the Ruby library and simplicity in the code that Ruby
|developers write.

Every developer who works on multi file program has to decide where to
store files other than main one.  Candidates are:

  * current directory (this is BAD)
  * same directory that main file exists (this is bad too)
  * ruby library directory (e.g. /usr/lib/ruby/1.6)
  * application specific directory (e.g. /usr/share/lib/app)

I don't recommend the former two at all, so that solutions you've
listed are not really needed.  They are just answers to the
(artificial) puzzle.

So all you need to do to $LOAD_PATH is any of

  * do nothing, if you put them in the ruby library directory

  * put '-I dir' in the #! line at the top of the main file, if you
    put them in the application specific directory.

  * or if you want, explicitly tweak $LOAD_PATH to include the
    application specific directory.

There's no hole to fill, I think.

							matz.