Johann Hibschman <johann / physics.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
news:mty9nb6p5s.fsf / physics.berkeley.edu...

>     Yuri> First of all Parrot is Perl6 runtime (or interpreter, or
>     Yuri> Perl6 VM) that takes bytecode and executes it. Parrot is
>     Yuri> part of Perl6 project, and NOT "merging of the Perl and
>     Yuri> Python interpreters", as you put it. Not a bit.
>
> Well, it is now.  But that doesn't contradict the fact that it
> originally came up in an April Fools joke.  I don't believe the Perl 6
> project was ever called "Parrot" before April 1, 2001.

That's right, the name "Parrot" is taken from that April joke, but there is
a difference between a language which is half Perl, half Python (oh my
goodness ;-),
and a runtime for Perl6 (and perhaps for other languages). Parrot _is_ _not_
a programming language, just like Java Virtual Machine is not a programming
language (it is a virtual machine ;-), and I thought we were talking about
Parrot released recently, and not about the April joke.

Anyway, this discussion is getting a bit boring, I understand your point .
What is really cool is that Parrot is alive, and Perl6 is alive,
and I wish Perl6/Parrot hackers fruitful coding, because it is a
great thing for all open source dynamic languages, be it Python ,
Ruby or whatever. I enjoy downloading the source
and playing with Parrot assembly code and the stuff, watching it develop.

Yuri Leikind