On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:29:21AM +0900, Dave Rose wrote:
> ...under my experience what is almost never considered are these
> intangibles...
> 1.) Under Ruby your maintenance costs will be lower (if it's well
> written Ruby)...and because of #1...Since a new systems is never perfect
> modifications must be made....and this is where Ruby really shines...any
> other language will produce an inertia to change that will continue to
> make your system diverge from the users wants and the reality of what
> your staff can absorb no matter what the current costs etc....NOBODY...
> thinks about this...until the premature end of life of your shiney new
> system....

I disagree rather strongly with your use of the phrase "any other
language".  There is a fair number of other languages that will serve
roughly as well as Ruby, give or take a little.  The truth remains that
most other languages would not serve as well in circumstances where Ruby
excels best.

Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."