On 9/10/06, Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 07:52:10AM +0900, David Vallner wrote:
> > kate rhodes wrote:
> > >.NET and the JVM and Parrot are just virtual machines that by themself
> > >contribute absolutely nothing to the productivity of a web developer.
> >
> > .NET is the whole platform, the CLR is the VM.
>
> You beat me to it -- just as Rails implies the Ruby interpreter, so .NET
> implies the CLR.

You guys are right but the point still stands. The entire .net
platform is still not something that can, in any reasonable way, be
compared to Rails. They're completely different things with completely
different purposes in life.

You can't write a web app in .net. It's not a language and it's not a
web framework.  You *could* write an app in Django / TurboGears that
ran under /within .net and THAT would be comparable but not because
it's got anything to do with .net.  It would be comparable because
Django and TurboGears are both web frameworks like Rails.

--
- kate = masukomi