On 9/11/06, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov <ara.t.howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Ryan Davis wrote:
>

> > On Sep 11, 2006, at 10:22 AM, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Eric Hodel wrote:
> >>
> >> or campaign for an msys based ruby dist which would make this all go away
> >> ;-)
> >
> > That would be ideal, but seems unlikely. Is there any progress on this front?
>
> maybe we should just make one?  if it were me, i'd probably just compile
> everything, zip it, and let people unpack it.  a bat script to setup the
> environment, associactions, etc.  might be nice, but i'm a fan of keeping
> stuff out of system space and letting people just point their env at it...
>
> what do you think?  basically i'm thinking
>
>    msys-ruby-1.0.0.tgz
>
>    (unpack)
>
>    cd c:\msys-ruby-1.0.0\
>
>    setup.bat  # sets up env vars, file assoc, etc.
>

> setup.bat, for that matter, need only configure %PATH and then spawn setup.rb.
>
> thoughts?

The command line is fine for a Ruby developer.  For an "average" end
user of some Ruby program, a one-click installer is essential on the
Windows platform.

Along those same lines, you'll also want to automagically install gem,
win32 stuff, etc. -- all the good things on the windows platform that
*NIX does not need (except for gem -- that's always good stuff).

TwP