Martin DeMello wrote:

/ ...

>> I am at a loss to understand why you think irb is essential to your plan.
>> There are much better solutions for talking to the user.
>
> Because IRB has already solved the general problem of a good, robust
> REPL. Why should drawing to a canvas be treated as a separate problem?

Because of the problem of the event loop, which will be hijacked by irb if
it's part of the application.

If you blow off irb between invocations, you lose its internal state, the
only point in its presence. If you don't blow off irb, you lose control of
the event thread, and the rendering (and other GUI-related activities)
won't happen reliably.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com