On 9/8/06, Charles O Nutter <headius / headius.com> wrote:
> And it's worth saying that everyone I've spoken with about Ruby,
> JRuby, and dynamic languages in general seems to have the greatest
> respect for the communities and applications that have sprung up
> around them. In many cases, as with Tim Bray's series of blogs, it's a
> pretty Java-agnostic attraction...Ruby the language is Ruby the
> language, and they recognize that it's the language that's most
> important.
>
> Of course I'm the wide-eyed innocent new employee, but there really
> seems to be a lot of excitement about the JRuby move and about dynamic
> languages in general at Sun. I think it's going to be a very
> interesting year...and if my impressions about this move are off the
> mark, I'll do my damnedest to move the mark.

Well Charles, we're pulling for you.  It's not the first time that Sun
has 'invested' in dynamic languages. They hired David Ungar and his
Self team back in 1991, but that seems to have been a side-show, The
Self page at Sun Research talks about the team in the past tense.
David still seems to be at Sun Research but hasn't been very active
lately.

Another case is Microsoft, their recent interest in dynamic languages
is not the first.  They too hired talent years ago from the dynamic
language community, for example George Bosworth, who was the CTO of
Digitalk. George is no longer there, having left not long ago with the
sense that they weren't buying his 'wild ideas' of making COM more
dynamic.

Let's hope that the corporate environment really IS different now.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/