------art_2138_9407746.1157812877091

On 9/8/06, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov <ara.t.howard / noaa.gov> wrote:

> this is incomplete, but i made a little finite state machine lib and
> dsl.  it
> even includes tools to vizualize if you have dot installed.  it's here
>
>    http://rubyforge.org/projects/codeforpeople/
>    http://codeforpeople.org/lib/ruby/

Ugh. This is what sucks about hanging out with all you smart people, you
guys have got me thinking about this now.  Ara, you're talking about a FSM
processor here, but have you thought about augmenting it to handle
context-free grammars? Ideally I'd like to be able to define protocols
textually, in BNF-like or yacc-like form. And given that text, mechanically
generate a state machine that would be restartable so it could be
event-driven. And the scanner would be pretty funky too, it would have to be
able to generate a token that means "not enough input to scan a complete
token, go to sleep now."

I've just been in the middle of implementing AMQP the old-fashioned way (by
hand) so this is timely.

------art_2138_9407746.1157812877091--