James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2006, at 2:11 PM, Molitor, Stephen L wrote:
>
>> What do you do for 'rename method' in TextMate?  I'm aware of the search
>> and replace in file feature but I was wondering if there was something
>> better.
>
> First, let me admit this is the point I have the least ideal solution
> for and I am interested in a Ruby Refactoring library I can wrap in
> TextMate commands.  Remember though, knowing everything about a Ruby
> script is all but impossible until runtime.

Brainstorm just happened, so bear with me - this is straight off the top
  of my head, and may be stupid:

Ok, so it's a real bodge to try to rename a method before runtime.  What
happens if we annotate the method to be renamed the next time it's run?
  We could run the script in question under an environment not totally
unlike xmp.  The first thing it would do is alter the source file
according to the annotation.  It would then add an appropriate
method_missing to Object to do a rename in the original source file
whenever the method was called, and then load() the file.

Good idea?  Worth trying?  Hideously flawed?

--
Alex