On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 04:39:04PM +0900, Benjohn Barnes wrote:
> 20 years ago, the subject line would have drawn me a line across one
> of my screen's diagonals. Ruby is awesomely more powerful than BBC
> BASIC, but why no trivial graphics support?
>
> My two requirements are that it should be really easy to draw, and it
> should be possible to do so interactively (from irb).
>
> I've looked unsuccessfully in the past, but if this is a solved
> problem then I'd really like to know. Otherwise, does anyone have a
> suggestion of where to start?
>
> Personally, I'm on a Mac. If there is a solution for my world, that
> would do for me. Something global would rock though.

If you're willing to try a different language, there's always Logo.  In
particular, I like UCBLogo (which, unlike other Logo versions,
implements macros along with the rest of the Lispishness of the
language).  It has a very friendly functional syntax, has an excellent
lineup of native graphics procedures (aka "functions), and is the
example language used for an excellent trilogy of computer science books
that are available free, online.

Since this is a bit off-topic for this venue, I'll shut up now, but let
me know if you want more information (links to resources, et cetera).

As for Ruby . . . I don't know of any capabilities such as those you
suggest, and I don't see them arising any time soon.  I could be
mistaken, however.