from Avi Bryant on 2001-09-19 at 04:28:12:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Pit Capitain wrote:
>
> > Maybe some day there'll be other ways to communicate with the
> > iowa servers. What I don't like about the named pipes is that there
> > can be no more than one server process per application. We'll
> > see...
>
> See http://www.rubytalk.com/17990 for an alternate method (that should
> work better on windows).
>
> Cheers,
> avi

But this won't quite work without the URL-parsing patch that Michael Neumann
wrote, unless you make sure that all your Iowa FastCGI's reside in something
like: /some/path/iowa/AppName, and even then, you'll need to create a script
within that directory and do something like this in httpd.conf:

Alias /some/path/iowa/AppName /some/path/iowa/AppName/myApp.rb

myApp.rb should run "Iowa.run2" from the FastCGI patch.

Michael Neumann's patch gets rid of the need for /iowa/ in the path by
replacing it with a double forward slash, so your URL's end up looking
something like this:

http://myhost/myappdir//ZxASDkjawk/1.1.5

Or something similar.