On 9/4/06, Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> Rick DeNatale wrote:
>> No easily, even if you can figure out how to define a method named \
>> or "\\" it's going to be messy sending it.
> If we're seriously talking about a Windows usage, let me point out
> that it's only on the command line that \ is needed.

Mostly.

> Internally, WIndows paths can use ordinary slashes (in every case I'm
> familiar with).

Mostly.

The reality of the matter is that with the APIs that Ruby is currently
using -- which are problematic for certain cases (Unicode) -- the \ and
/ are interchangeable internally.

The advanced APIs -- the Unicode ones and the ones that make it possible
to have very long path names -- requires \.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca