On 9/3/06, GņĶaud Contisouzas <gejtoo / gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, trying to `gem install` the rails-app-installer it complains that
> sqlite3-ruby is missing. Indeed all the gems are installed in
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ and I assume that it's trying to
> check the deps within this directory. Now, please keep in mind that my
> goal is to fix the state of Typo in FreeBSD in general. I'm not
> interested in installing Typo just for myself, I have a greater goal
> than that ;)

AFAIK, there's no fakegem capability in RubyGems, which is essentially
what you need for install.

I *think* you can tell gem to ignore dependencies, but I'm not sure.
Where you might run into a problem is if a gem specifically does a
require_gem (a no-no; there's a new method to require a specific
version which would *activate* but not require the gem).

> - Is it possible to tell gem to cross the border and have a look in
> ../site_ruby/ for deps checking?

No. It doesn't actually look for sqlite3/... it looks for the gem.

> - If no, well, what could be the risks of having a 'ruby install.rb'
> and a 'gem install' version of the same package at the same time?
> Would there be some kind of conflict that would make everything
> explode?

It would not be good.

> - If conflicts occur, is there any functional or performance-related
> difference between the two versions? Which one should be TheOne in
> your opinion?

In most cases, the Gem is probably a good choice. But not everyone agrees.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca