On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 06:41:45AM +0900, Peter Booth wrote:
> I think he makes an important point that choice of technology is rarely  a
> proximate cause of project failure. ( EJB & Corba being the two largest risk
> I can recall.)

If he makes that point, he does so by accident.  His main point is that
technology (in terms of the ecosystem surrounding the technology as part
of it) is indeed a cause of failure, and you should thus stick with the
technologies "everybody knows" are "safe", to avoid failure.

. . . assuming that by "he" you mean "Joel Spolsky".

> I love Java but I wouldn't use it to write application (cf plumbing) code,
> if I were paying the bills.

I wouldn't use Java for much of anything unless someone were paying me
to do it and wasn't open to alternatives.  That's in large part a matter
of personal preference, though -- I don't like Java very much.

"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary
to shoot the engineers and begin production." - MacUser, November 1990