Phrogz wrote:
> It
> exists to provide access to the mailing list via the convenience of
> Google Groups web-based client. (272 members)"

I think this is the answer, here.  Someone wanted easy access via a
Google app and create it.

> Is it somehow more reliable? Should I be using that instead of
> comp.lang.ruby?

Plenty of people use comp.lang.ruby daily, and it actually seems to be a
bit more reliable than ruby-forum (in my limited experience), so I don't
think you need to bother switching.

I think the whole 'replacement' bit was someone trying to make it sound
more important than it is.

If you're really worried about 'reliability', the mailing list is pretty
much the main method here, so that would be the way to go.

Having said all that, I still use ruby-forum because it's more
convenient for me.