On 9/5/06, Jean Verger <jean.verger / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for your advices,
>
> 1. Is there any way to generate the RSA Key with e, d and n? (instead
> of using the pem file?

try PKey::RSA.generate(512)

> 2. The output that I'm geetting is out of the "regular" character
> range ... Im getting some weird characters. I guess it is normal when
> crypting, but with the javascript RSA model I don't get any "weird
> character". Anyway to limit the output? This is the output in a
> browser:
> http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jverger/rsaRuby.png

You're getting bytes, javascript gives you hex-encoded data

> 3. Finally ... when using this code i get a different encrypted string
> every time I run the code! :) How can that be? I mean, given the same
> .pem file, i get a different encryption, although then, the
> verification is fine.

PKCS#1 add random padding to the encrypted data to avoid situation,
when the same data is always encrypted as same ciphertext.

I'd encourage you to read some literature on the topic, as I wrote
some time ago (http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/79044), encryption is
easy to get messed up, and your efforts would be ruined. See the
thread for some links. You need to understand the basics if you want
your encryption fulfill its purpose. At least read PKCS#1 standard.
You'll learn about the padding schemes and various attacks on it
there.

Please don't get me wrong, this is meant as an advice to not get
burned. I'll be glad if I'm wrong in this case ;-)