On 9/1/06, Matt Todd <chiology / gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the reasons I prefer GMail for reading Mailing Lists is because
> it groups threads and hides quoted text (but allows you to show them
> if necessary). It's very clean.

I love gmail for the same reasons, but it's not perfect.

It actually encourages top-posting for at least two reasons that I can think of.

1) When you reply to a message it puts your insertion point at the
beginning of the first of blank lines it puts, before the quoted
message to which you are replying.

2) It only really likes to hide quoted text at the bottom of a message.

So when I reply I almost invariably start by deleting those two blank
lines, then any quoted stuff I want to strip, before adding my
comments, and them I just live with the way quote hiding works.

---
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/