William Grosso wrote:
> Vidar Hokstad wrote:
>>
>> When we started hiring those concerns were validated: It's proved
>> extremely hard to find people with Ruby experience. While it's
>> certainly getting easier rapidly, not everyone can afford to take the
>> risk. In our case I decided to start phasing Ruby in for small self
>> contained components in our backend, and gradually take it from there
>> as we get enough Ruby skills through training or hiring, which has
>> proven to work well and meant that in the event that we'd run into
>> unforeseen problems, the effort involved in switching back to another
>> language would have been limited.
>>

> This leads to an interesting question: how many ruby programmers are
> there, anyway?
>
> I ran across
> http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2006/08/28/daily1.html
> today and boggled at the "2.5 million" number for PHP.

Minor correct: I ran across that, and then read the following in Mark
De Visser's profile on LinkedIn.

Zend Technologies creates PHP products, software for rapid development
and deployment of Web applications. PHP is being increasingly adopted
with an estimated 2.5 million developers currently using it and 22 million
deployed websites.