Hi --

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Jeff Pritchard wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm still enjoying Ruby now after about six months of learning ruby and
> rails together.  I'm doing well at continuing my understanding of how to
> get the most out of Rails, but I feel like I've hit a bit of a rut on
> the Ruby side of things.
>
> Specifically, I feel like I've gotten to a point where I remember enough
> of it that I can spend some time looking things up and come up with a
> reasonable solution to most anything I tackle.  What's missing is the
> big leap from "I can find the answer and I know it's there somewhere" to
> actually being proficient in the language and using all of the many
> built-in methods efficiently.
>
> Does it just take a really long time to become really proficient at this
> rich language, or is there a particular book or other means by which I
> can re-accellerate my climb to that pinnacle?  I suppose I'm looking for
> an easy way out here.  No doubt if I continue to stumble about as
> half-a-rubyist for another year or two I'll eventually get most of the
> way there.
>
> I'm looking for a shortcut to the top of the mountain.  Anybody know the
> way?

Ruby longa, vita brevis :-)  I think one thing is not to think of it
as a mountain; think of it as a landscape, an extraordinarily
interesting one, that you're exploring and that you'll probably never
get to the end of.  In the long run it's more engaging that way.

As for books, I don't know what you've read yet, but keep in mind that
a new edition of Hal Fulton's "The Ruby Way" is due out soon.  I have
a feeling you'll like it a lot and find it very productive reading.

David

--
                   David A. Black | dblack / wobblini.net