Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 09:00:50AM +0900, Chad Perrin wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 08:30:59AM +0900, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>>> On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 02:47:39AM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> } I've found the typical "xterm/konsole" window on Linux systems is often
>>> } unreadable with a white background and the typical Linux text color
>>> } scheme. The pastel backgrounds are quite a bit better than white, but it
>>> } really works best for me on a black background, so that's what I use.
>>>
>>> s/Linux/some Linux distributions/
>>>
>>> Thankfully, Debian does not seem to do foolish things with the shell
>>> prompt, as many others do.
>> s/with the shell/much at all/
>>
>> Yea, verily, I'm a fan of Debian defaults in general.
>
> Y'know, that would look much smarter if I remembered to include the word
> "prompt" in the matching part of my substitution expression.

Curiously enough, when Red Hat dropped Red Hat 10 in favor of Fedora and
some expensive "enterprise" distros, I switched to Debian. I really
liked Debian, although it took them a long time to come out with "sarge"
as a stable product. And I really liked being able to bring up "dselect"
and be a kid in a candy store. Darn near anything I could use or wanted
to learn how to use was in there.

The fly in Debian's ointment was their disdain for Java. A lot of the
things I wanted to run were written in Java. So I went looking around
for another distro and settled on Gentoo, about six months after
switching from Red Hat to Debian.

I don't personally code in Java, nor do I hack on the open-source tools
I use that are written in Java. But in certain application areas
(workstation, not server, in my case) the really good packages are
written in Java.