On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 04:00:30AM +0900, Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality wrote:
> "William Crawford" <wccrawford / gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:46e8668aa99772ce7406c801faabee14 / ruby-forum.com...
> >
> > But again, the OP asked in general, and in general, I say it's a
> > stalemate.  Neither side is 'right or wrong', 'polite or impolite',
> > 'confusing or clear', or any pair of opposites assuming the person
> > posting the message knows how to get his/her point across.
>
>     If by "in general" you mean "with no context to the situation" then
> yes.  It's neither an issue of politeness nor righteousness.  Then again,
> without context, it's not a particularly interesting or useful question, so
> I doubt that's how it was intended.  Perhaps you're right about the "we
> assume everyone is like us" syndrome since, after reading the original
> post, it looks to me like they're asking "what is top posting" in the
> context of usenet when, for all I know, they asked this in the mailing list
> or the web forum.  I don't know about those other mediums but I certainly
> know the protocol for usenet and responded accordingly.  Do those other
> mediums have similar protocols?
>     I'm actually on a few web forums (though not the ruby one) and no one
> top-posts despite there being no rule or protocol about it.  It's just not
> something people naturally do.
>     I have never been on a mailing list...

It varies from list to list (having been on many).  In general, in
regards to top/bottom/inline posting, lists tend to either have a "no
top-posting" rule or no rules about it at all.  Those that have no rules
about it at all tend to occasionally develop complications where a
discussion will get very involved with lots of inline posting, and
someone comes along to start top-posting, completely screwing up the
flow of the conversation.  On the other side of the coin, with lists
that have "no top-posting" rules, things tend to proceed smoothly until
someone new to the list (or simply stubborn) top-posts, at which point
that person may or may not be chastised overly harshly for the error.
This might produce any number of outcomes, including never posting to
the list again, a flamewar, apology and compliance, or a discussion like
this.

This sig for rent:  a Signify v1.14 production from http://www.debian.org/