Dido Sevilla wrote:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/09/01.html
>
> Actually, despite the fact that I love Ruby a lot, I'm inclined to
> partially agree with him on this. Presently, our company does have
> some Rails-based web applications deployed but they're predominantly
> applications geared for use by only a few people (internal client use
> only); we've not yet tried to deploy a real public-facing web
> application based on Rails. For that, it works really well. We're
> taking a wait and see attitude before we attempt to use Rails for any
> high load applications; my own experiences attempting to optimize
> plain Ruby code for performance have been simultaneously frustrating
> and rewarding. I doubt I could do the same with a Rails app. So for
> now we're gonna stick with PHP for our public facing web applications,
> even if it is even worse for i18n/l10n/m17n applications than Ruby
> is...

Interesting post Dido ;-)

I have never seen one web project fail due to slow language execution,
yet I have seen many fail because developers boggled down with
complexity, bloat and sluggish time to market!

After a couple of week's worth of work in Perl, people would say "wow
that's totally awesome" but with Java they say "hmmm, is that all"?

Java and C# are no guarantee for success. Sure the production
environments are solid but you cannot ignore the development economics,
you seem to need 10 instead of 3 people and 5 times as long. These are
serious issues!

Ok, sure Java's OO may be nicer than Perl 5's but once you brew
HTML/Javascript/JSP/JSTL/EL/tags/JSF or Struts together the result
isn't exactly what I'd call pretty. Java is in no way a safe bet.

How about C#, well it runs in Windows and without serious and expensive
firewalls you just can't go anywhere near the Internet. Yes .net is
prettier than the java's web stack but there is still way too much to
learn and when the framework doesn't do what you need you're left in
the cold big time. Again .NET is no guarantee to success either.

Ruby and Rails just get straight to the point. They make common things
easy and elegant. If execution speed really is a problem then I reckon
it'll get fixed.

As for developing major sites with Rails, most managers don't have the
balls. They'd rather pay millions to get a java solution, it isn't
their money on the budget so they gutlessly pour it down the java hole
and hope for the best. If the project fails they blame the team or
throw more money and bodies at the problem, of course it's not java's
fault or theirs.

Anyway I don't hold prejedice again java or c# but they are in no way a
safe bet.

Cheers.