Isaac Gouy wrote:
>> There are tools and programming styles that can make C programming as
>> easy as programming in a dynamic language like Ruby or Perl or Python.
>> And the whining about the edit/compile/link/test cycle being less
>> efficient than the edit/test cycle of a dynamic language I think is just
>> that -- whining. If your complex application is properly modularized,
>> that's just not a big deal.
>
> No, not just whining.
>
> There's so much to know about any programming language and tool chain,
> that we are understandably ignorant of other languages and tools.
> However in these Google days it's harder to understand why we would
> continue to assume that the only tools available for C are
> compilers/linkers... Searching on c interpreter should be enough to
> find things like http://root.cern.ch/root/Cint.html

Ah ... but why would I waste the time to search for, download, install,
learn, and most likely beta test a C interpreter when I'm perfectly
effective with Vim, gcc, make, autoconf, cvs/subversion, etc.? Or in the
Windows environment with Visual C++ Express and the platform SDK?

Let's put it this way ... I'm saying programmers shouldn't whine that
the edit/compile/link/test cycle of C is less efficient than the
edit/test cycle of Ruby, because it isn't if their program is properly
modularized. And you seem to be saying that they shouldn't whine about
the edit/compile/link/test cycle of C being less efficient than the
edit/test cycle of Ruby because there is a C interpreter. :)