On 9/2/06, Alder Green <alder.green / gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> How do I get a nice color scheme that would do a better job of
> visually differentiating the various Ruby-related syntactical
> elements?

I assume you're using gvim (which is GTK-based, rather than plain vim).

As James B. recommended: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~maverick/VimColorSchemeTest/

"zenburn" is very nice if you like dark backgrounds.

As the install instructions indicate, to install colorschemes, create
a ~/.vim/colors directory and put the .vim files in there. Then add

colorscheme zenburn

to your ~/.vimrc file. Finally, restart gvim.

I don't use vim anymore (switched to Emacs recently), but [my
notes][1] indicate that I preferred zenburn with the following change:

hi LineNr          guifg=#4f4f4f guibg=#3a3a3a
hi Normal          guifg=#dcdccc guibg=#4f4f4f
hi Statement       guifg=#e3ceab guibg=#4f4f4f gui=none

[1]: http://www.simisen.com/jmg/notes/vim.html

---John