> The impression I get is that he just doesn't want to have to reinvent
> the wheel if someone else has already done a good job of it and is
> willing to share.  Fiddling and fine-tuning a color scheme can be kind
> of a pain in the butt sometimes, regardless of the application and the
> configuration mechanism.

Here's what I use, and it's based off of the TextMate Vibrant Ink theme:

highlight Normal guifg=White   guibg=Black
highlight Cursor guifg=Black   guibg=Yellow
highlight Keyword guifg=#FF6600
highlight Define guifg=#FF6600
highlight Comment guifg=#9933CC
highlight Type guifg=White gui=NONE
highlight rubySymbol guifg=#339999 gui=NONE
highlight Identifier guifg=White gui=NONE
highlight rubyStringDelimiter guifg=#66FF00
highlight rubyInterpolation guifg=White
highlight rubyPseudoVariable guifg=#339999
highlight Constant guifg=#FFEE98
highlight Function guifg=#FFCC00 gui=NONE
highlight Include guifg=#FFCC00 gui=NONE
highlight Statement guifg=#FF6600 gui=NONE
highlight String guifg=#66FF00
highlight Search guibg=White