Michal Suchanek wrote:
> On 9/2/06, Paul Lutus <nospam / nosite.zzz> wrote:
>> Alder Green wrote:
>>
>> > Here's an example of what I'm looking for:
>> >
>> > http://www.users.on.net/~markwoodward/vim/linVim/ftplugin/ruby_cols.vim
>> >
>> > I can't use this particular one as it is aimed at people who use black
>> > text over white bg, whereas I use white on black.
>>
>> Yipes. Oh well, to each his own. I gave up on white text on black
>> background
>> years ago when I discovered it caused me eyestrain and headaches during
>> all-day programming sessions.
>
> I guess white on black used to be very useful on the old screens that
> had low contrast and refresh rate. Any background other than black
> causes more flickering, any foreground other than white causes the
> text to be harder to read because it is too dim.
>
> But I find it much better to use dark background with lighter text.
> Black is not good, I think it causes me to lose focus because there is
> virtually nothing visible on most of the screen (such state also did
> not exist on old screens).
>

>> It should be pointed out that nearly all modern text colors presume a
>> white
>> background, now that that is the norm.
>
> I suspect this came from word processing where black on white
> resembles paper. But for screens that actually emit light I like dark
> backgrounds better. I wonder how reflective screens will change this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

I've found the typical "xterm/konsole" window on Linux systems is often
unreadable with a white background and the typical Linux text color
scheme. The pastel backgrounds are quite a bit better than white, but it
really works best for me on a black background, so that's what I use.

One thing I do find myself changing often is when I'm editing a (Gentoo)
config file in Vim. The comments tend to be user instructions on how to
set the parameters. On a black background, Vim colors the comments a
dark-ish blue that's almost unreadable, so I go ":syn off" to read them.

Actually, as long as I've been programming, I never found language
syntax coloring all that useful. It's certainly not necessary.